We're an affiliate
I hope you love the products I recommend! Just so you know, some of the links in this blog are affiliate links meaning that I will receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you. Thank you if you use my links, I truly appreciate it.
Introduction To Mulching Your Grass
You are most probably aware of mulching mowers and that they are highly beneficial in keeping your lawn healthy, but you may not know what the process is, how it works and the results mulching provides.
In this article we will be talking about types of mulching mowers and explain in more detail the benefits. So if you are thinking of purchasing a new mower you will have all the information you need to make an informed decision whether or not mulching is a feature worth considering or something you and your yard simply can’t do without.
What Is Grass Mulching?
In summary, mulching is a method of cutting your lawn without collecting the grass clippings. What happens to the grass clippings? They are cut into tiny pieces by the mower’s specially designed blade and with the assistance of a mulching plug returned back to the lawn. As they are so small, they fall towards the soil and quickly decompose. This is a highly beneficial process for your lawn as it releases nitrogen and other nutrients into the soil benefiting the root system. You might have heard people referring to grass mulching and stating that it organically fertilizes their lawn. Yes, that is completely correct.
The benefits do not stop there. Mulching also provides moisture to your lawn that is highly appreciated especially during drier seasons as it helps to prevent the grass from drying out. Depending on the type of your grass this may vary but around 80% is made up of water, so drying out would not look very healthy or appealing, not mentioning the damage it would cause.
What Are The Types Of Mulching Mower?
If you want a mulching mower, there are a few types available on the market. One that is a dedicated mulching mower, a mower with multiple functions including mulching, robotic mower or reel mower. With regards to a walk behind mower you will have a further choice between cordless, gas and electric powered mowers. There is no doubt that gas powered mowers are by far the most powerful and efficient at mulching, but will not be suitable for every homeowner’s yard.
Dedicated Mulching Mower
The first type of mulching mower, undoubtedly provides superior results, however there is no flexibility to change the mowing function. Most dedicated mulching mowers are powered exclusively by gas and are aimed more for the commercial market.
Multi-Functional Mulching Mower
The second type of mulching mower, will provide you with flexibility and diversity based on your specific needs that can change according to the different seasons and lawn conditions. For example, mulching is not suitable for damp or wet grass and it should not be used for the first Spring cut as the grass is likely to be very long. The longer the grass the more cutting will be needed by the mower’s blade and it can result in clumps of grass and a breakdown of the mulching process. Most mulching mowers are provided with 4-in-1 cutting methods allowing you to cut and collect, mulch, side or rear discharge the grass cuttings. In my opinion this is the best option providing flexibility and are more versatile compared to a dedicated mulching mower.
Reel Mulching Mower
Using a manual reel mower without the catcher bag will, to some extent, mulch the grass cuttings due to the multiple blades. If your grass is left to grow too long, then a reel mower becomes inefficient and ineffective at mulching the grass cuttings small enough to break down quickly and fertilize the lawn. With this type of mower, you really will need to cut more often.
There are many advantages to having a robotic mower, however the main one is that once the mower is set up, programmed, the perimeter wire installed, there is nothing in terms of mowing left for you to do. The robotic mower will do all the hard work for you, it will work when you want it to work – even at night if that is what you want and more importantly the lawn will look exactly as you want at all times. Of course, you will be able to enjoy all the benefits of mulching because this is what robotic mowers are designed to do.
Benefits Of Mulching Your Grass
We have already mentioned some of the mulching benefits in the article above, however there are more benefits you should be aware of. I will split them into 3 main sections with additional information therein.
Provides Outstanding Results
The mulching process acts as a natural fertilizer, meaning that it promotes healthier, stronger and thicker grass. Not only this but it also reduces weeds, moss, bare patches and diseases appearing in your lawn.
Saves Time And Money
How can mulching mowers save you time and money? It is simple, the organic fertilizer that is provided on a regular basis to the soil reduces, if not eliminates, the need to use synthetic fertilizers. You may already be aware that synthetic fertilizers provide only short-term benefits, and what’s more they are expensive to buy and time consuming to apply. Let’s not forget to mention that if prepared or applied incorrectly in terms of dosage, they can actually damage / kill your lawn.
Organic fertilizers are improving the quality of your soil slowly and most importantly longer-term, you don’t have to worry about the incorrect mix being applied.
In terms of saving you time, I should most probably mention that using the mulching method means that you will not need to keep stopping every so often to empty the grass catcher bag. This is likely to save you around 1/3 of the mowing time during each session.
As mulching provides moisture to the lawn, less water will be needed to keep it healthy. This will also save you money and time on watering your lawn. Remember, if you do need to water your lawn it should be done in the morning between 6am and 10am.
Increasing amounts of people and countries are focusing on the environment and their carbon footprint. If you are one of those people, then mulching is likely to be a desirable option for you and your yard. You will no longer need to dispose of grass clippings (reducing landfill waste) and will significantly reduce the need to use fertilizers on your lawn, as mulching has you covered here too.
You can clearly see the reasons why mulching mowers are becoming so much more popular in recent years. But remember, they may not be suitable for all yards and circumstances, read on to find out more…
Best Mulching Mowers By Type
Best Gas Mulching Mowers
- 140CC OHV GAS POWERED ENGINE: Engine comes equipped with recoil and auto choke. No more fussing with a primer or choke - just pull to start!
- 3-IN-1 CAPABILITIES: Unit has side discharge, rear discharge, and mulching capabilities.
- 21-INCH CUTTING DECK: Efficient cutting deck helps trim grass in one quick pass for an easier yard job.
- DUAL-LEVER ADJUSTABLE CUTTING HEIGHT: Choose from 6 different height settings to suit user’s needs.
- DURABLE WHEELS: Zag Treaded tires measure 7 inches in the front and 8 inches in the back.
- POWERFUL ENGINE: 140cc reliable engine equipped with recoil start and primer. Battle tested and battle ready to get to work right away and help you get the job done.
- MUTLIPLE HEIGHT SETTINGS: Dual lever height adjuster with 6 different height settings. Whether your lawn needs a light trim or a full cut, find the height setting that fits the task at hand.
- 2-IN-1 CUTTING DECK: Side discharge and mulching capabilities.
- EFFICIENT AND EFFECTIVE: 21" cutting deck to assist you in trimming your lawn as fast as possible. Mow wider areas of grass with fewer passes.
- DURABLE TIRES: 7-inch and 8-inch wheels with bar treading capable of handling unique and uneven terrains. Effortlessly drive through hard or loose soil.
- [EPA CARB Certificated Engine] It will discharge less fuel gas in use, and won't cause pollution or do hard to human body. POWERFUL 200CC 3.6KW OHV GAS ENGINE: Powerful gas engine comes equipped with recoil and auto choke. No more fussing with a primer or choke - just pull to start.
- 4-IN-1 CAPABILITIES: Unit has side discharge, rear discharge, and mulching capabilities, Edge cutting. Rear Wheel Drive System provides a better traction and control on hilly terrain. SELF PROPELLED : Move around your yard with less effort .
- DUAL-LEVER ADJUSTABLE CUTTING HEIGHT: Choose from 7 different height settings to suit user’s needs.1-3inches. Cutting Width- 21 inch 11-INCH REAR TIRES: PVC tires on unit measure 8 inches in the front and 11 inches on the rear to tackle uneven terrain.
- 60L NYLON BAGGER: Doesn’t tear Easy to clean. Breath able for when bag fill up.100% Fill Up. DRIVE SYSTEM：Rear Wheel Drive System provides a better traction and control on hilly terrain.
- [One Year Warranty] Welcome to contact us by email for any questions, we'll reply within 24 hours
- Loncin: Toro's Premium Engine is made by Loncin
- Powerful OHV Engine: reliable 209cc 4-stroke engine equipped with recoil start for one pull start.
- RWD Self Propelled: rear wheel drive, 7" front & 8" rear wheel design for sizable yard and thick grass.
- 3-in-1 Cutting Deck: 21-inch mowing width with mulching, side-discharge, rear bag discharge capabilities for sizable yard.
- Cutting Height Adjustment: 5-position height settings allow you to change the cutting height from 1.18" to 3".
- Easy to use: quick fold & unfold design, easy assemble in 5 minutes, easily get to use and save space for storage.
- Customer Satisfaction: covered with PowerSmart 3-year-warranty, free tech support, repair service center in U.S., online support in 24H. Any reason please contact with us.
- 209cc 4-Cycle Gas Engine: quick blade spinning, strong torque, long running time. Reliable 209CC gas power, mowing quick, mowing professional.
- 21-Inch Cutting Deck: 21" wide cutting deck allow you cut glass with less path, finish your yard job in quick.
- 5 Cutting Height Adjustable: adjust height from 1.18" to 3.0", suitable for all kinds of grass. Allow you customize the look and feel of your lawn.
- 3-in-1 with Bagger: rear bag discharge for grass bits collection, mulching with heavy-duty blade minces grass into super-fine bits for recycle, side-discharge easily pass thick grass for quick mowing.
- Easy to Use: 95% assembled, no expert assembly needed. Easy starter, Quick folded design, save storage space and easily get it to work.
- Customer Satisfaction: covered with PowerSmart 3-year-warranty, free lifetime tech support, repair service center in U.S., online support in 24H. Any reason please contact with us.
Last update on 2022-10-06 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Best Cordless Mulching Mowers
- CORDLESS LAWN MOWER – Get more done, faster, with Greenworks electric lawn mowers. This 40V push mower provides up to 60 minutes of run-time on a fully charged 4.0Ah and 2.0Ah battery (varies based on grass condition and operator technique)
- DURABLE 19” STEEL DECK – The 19” steel deck allows you to handle large areas of grass quickly and easily
- VERSATILE – Single lever, 7-position height adjustment for the best cut in all environments. The 3-in-1 design allows you to mulch, side discharge, and rear bag grass clippings
- MAINTENANCE FREE – This push lawn mower is virtually maintenance free, with no gas, no oil, and no emissions. Push button start, quiet operation, and delivers gas-like performance
- Compatible Only with G-MAX 40V Battery Models 29462 and 29472
- [6 HEIGHT ADJUSTMENTS] A single lever lets you set the height you want to cut your lawn, depending on the season, or just your preference
- [INTELLICUT] feature provides torque on demand for tougher conditions
- [SAME BATTERY, EXPANDABLE POWER] Worx Power Share is compatible with all Worx 20v and 40v tools, outdoor power and lifestyle products
- [MULCH OR BAG] This 2-in-1 mower lets you bag it up, or mulch your grass back into the ground, it’s up to you
- [BATTERY METER] The on-board battery charge indicator lets you know exactly how much juice you have left before you need to head back to the garage
- [FULL-BAG INDICATOR] The plastic-topped collection bag has a capacity of .85 bushels, and the full-bag indicator lets you know when it’s time to empty out
- CORDLESS LAWN MOWER – Get more done, faster, with Greenworks electric lawn mowers. This 40v push lawn mower provides the power you need with up to 45 minutes of runtime on a fully charged 4.0Ah battery. The battery completely charges in 120 minutes.
- LIGHTWEIGHT, EASY TO USE – A lightweight 16” cutting deck allows for easy maneuvering through small to medium yards (up to ½ acre) more efficiently. Easy push button start and lighter weight make it a great choice for your lawn.
- VERSATILE – Battery powered lawn mower has a single lever 5-position height adjustment with a cutting height range from 1-1/4" to 3-3/8" for the best cut in all environments. The 2-in-1 feature offers versatile use with mulching and rear bagging options.
- MAINTENANCE FREE – This walk behind lawn mower is virtually maintenance free, with no gas, no oil and no emissions. It starts instantly and is quiet but delivers gas-like power for your toughest projects.
- INCLUDES – Battery operated lawn mower comes with mower, grass collection bag, 40V 4.0Ah battery, charger and operators manual. It offers a 3 year tool and 3 year battery warranty.
- Includes (1) Max Capacity 4 AH - 40V Lithium Battery , Cutting Heights - 5 Position
- Durable 20'' Steel Deck lets you Mulch, Bag, or Side Discharge allowing you to maintain your yard the way you want it. This Lawn Mower is not self-propelled
- Innovative Smart Cut technology automatically increases the speed of the blade when more power is needed
- Our dual battery port design enables one battery to be stored while the other fuels the mower for uninterrupted cutting; saving a you a trip to the garage
- Up to 55% of U.S. homes only need one charge to get the job done
- 10" rear wheels and 7" front wheels make it easy to maneuver through any range of terrain
- Genuine Ryobi part number 527556001 replaces part number 527556002
- Fits Ryoby 40 volt mower models RY40107, RY40170, RY40108, RY40180, RY40109, RY40190
Last update on 2022-10-06 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Best Electric Mulching Mowers
- CORDED – Corded design offers unlimited runtime for even the biggest jobs.
- POWERFUL ELECTRIC MOTOR – 13 Amp motor supplies ample power for cutting through thick grass and overgrowth.
- TOOL-FREE HEIGHT ADJUSTMENT – A single lever adjusts the mower deck’s 7-setting cutting height between 1-1/2 in. to 4 in.
- EDGEMAX DECK – Deck design allows precise cutting close to fences and landscape borders, reducing the need for trimming.
- 3IN1 VERSATILITY – Choose from 3 mowing modes: mulching, bagging, or discharging grass clippings from the side.
- 13 GAL. FABRIC GRASS BAG -- Fabric design makes it easy to determine if the bag is full.
- Questions, Text 563563 to chat directly with a Sun Joe expert
- POWERFUL: 13-amp motor cuts a 17-inch wide path
- HEIGHT CONTROL: Tailor cutting Height with 7-position Height control
- CONVERTIBLE: Mulching + mowing function. Size of Yard - 1/4 - 1/2 Acre. No Load Speed (rpm)- 3500
- GRASS COLLECTOR: Detachable grass collection bag for easy disposal
- LIGHTWEIGHT: Weighs in at under 31 lbs
- 13 Amp Electric Motor delivers enough power to cut through the toughest grass
- Durable steel 21-Inch cutting deck gets the job done quicker and more efficiently
- 3-in-1 feature provides multiple options for grass clippings from rear bagging, side discharge and mulching capabilities for versatile needs
- 7 position height adjustment offers a range of cutting height from 1 1/2-Inch to 3 3/4-Inch for the perfect cut on all grass types
- Wide 10-Inch rear wheels and 7-Inch front wheels. Please lift the rear discharge cover to find the mulching plug. Weight: 56 lbs
- 13 Amp Motor with 20 inches Deck - Power through tall grass
- 3-in-1 Capacity - Rear Bagging, Mulching and Side Discharge
- Winged Blade - Improved Cutting Performance
- Easy Fold Handle - Allows for Vertical Storage
- Earthwise Power Tools by ALM electric lawn mower with a powerful 11-Amp motor to cut all types of grasses; High efficiency, yet low-maintenance motor for gas-like cutting power
- Corded electric lawn mower with a large 14" cutting width and 5 changeable cutting height adjustments from 1" to 2.5"
- 2-in-1 rear discharge and mulching system that includes a hard-top 16 gal grass bag with grass level indicator for easy disposal
- Corded lawn mower with adjustable handle height and position for easy and comfortable handling; Compact and slim frame with foldable handles for easy storage and transport
- Lightweight and maneuverable; planet-friendly gas-free lawn mower
Last update on 2022-10-06 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Best Robotic Mowers
- [FULLY AUTOMATED] The Landroid M cuts up to a ¼ acre all by itself. Just lay down the boundary wire once, measure your lawn with the app, and let it mow
- [DO IT ALL WITH THE SAME BATTERY] Worx Power Share is compatible with all Worx 20v and 40v tools, outdoor power and lifestyle products
- [APP CONTROL] Check mowing progress, start or stop Landroid, receive software updates and more
- [NAVIGATES NARROW PATHS] Patented AIA technology allows Landroid to navigate narrow passageways too difficult for ordinary robotic mowers
- [CUSTOMIZED MOWING SCHEDULES] Have Landroid mow every day, every other day, it can even recommend an auto schedule based on your yard’s size and conditions
- [TACKLES OBSTACLES] If Landroid encounters obstacles it will bump them and back away, or you can exclude areas of your lawn that you don’t want Landroid to mow. Landroid can also tackle slopes in your yard up to 20°
- Highly intelligent robotic lawn mower: GARDENA SILENO Minimo automatically mows yards up to 2700 sq ft streak-free, with easy connectivity via Bluetooth EasyApp Control, Auto-Schedule and EasyConfig
- Precise, silent navigation: Relax in your backyard while SILENO Minimo expertly navigates narrow spaces and tight corners while quietly cutting your grass with one of the quietest in class noise levels of 57 dbA
- Safe and reliable: The boundary wire ensures the Robotic Lawn Mower only mows the areas specified while collision sensors ensures the mower operates safely with no accidents or damage to your garden
- All-weather and terrain: SILENO keeps mowing rain or shine and cuts all shapes of lawns within the boundary wire limits, from simple to complex including slopes of up to 35 percent
- Items delivered: 1x GARDENA SILENO Minimo Robotic Lawn Mower with base, charging station, low-voltage cable, power supply unit, ruler, connectors, couplers, loop wire, stakes and operators manual
- Low voltage cable: 3 m
- FORGET ABOUT MOWING: No more sweating all summer while pushing a heavy noisy mower. AYI Robot lawn mower will does all the work for you.
- CUTS UP TO 2/3 AN ACRE: AYI Robot lawnmower comes with an 5,200mah built-in lithium battery rated to last 120 minutes on a full charge, designed for lawns up to 29,000 square feet (0.67 acres) and can handle terrains with a 37% incline.
- MULTIPLE MOWING PATTERNS: Spiral, Edge Cut, Random for complete cover your garden. Zone function to avoid repeat mowing, Built-in gyroscope ensures accurate route.
- STAYS IN THE YARD: Automatically mowing on scheduled time or starts via your phone app. It star to work, returns to recharges, never goes on vacation or has something better to do.
- SAFETY FIRST: Robot equipped a full suite of advance sensors with lift, rain, bumper sensors and electronic gyroscope. It can perceive ambient conditions and prevent damage, injury, or even theft.
- SELF-MULCHING: Razor-like blades result in confetti-style cutting that helps conserve water, nutrients, even in the height of summer.
- Automower 115H with a DIY installation kit (please review the pre-installation checklist below under guides and documents)
- Husqvarna Automower robotic lawn mower is ready to maintain small or medium-sized lawns up to 0.4 acres.
- Efficient battery-powered mower returns automatically to recharging station as needed.
- Unique cutting system safely clips grass a little at a time, returning clippings to the soil for a natural fertilizing effect.
- Quick and easy adjustment of the cutting height from 2 to 3.6 inches.
- ✔️ POWER BRAND: Kohler Gasoline Engine 9.5hp 3.75mph speed
- ✔️ OVERALL SIZE: 100x93x50cm Fuel tank capacity: 4 liters Machine Net Weight: 286.6 lb. Standard fuel consumption: 1.2 liters/hour Cutter size: 54x54cm
- ✔️ INGENUITY -DareDevil Kohler Engine Mowers are incredibly versatile pieces of equipment that can save you thousands of dollars by eliminating the need for multiple specialized mowers. Our mower is capable of mowing everything from fine and short park grass to rough and dense brush. Additionally, you have the choice to buy a snow plow that can handle up to 450 pounds.
- ✔️ SAFETY - The DareDevil Mower can be operated from up to 200 meters away VIA remote control. Our newly upgraded hydraulic connecting rod keeps it steady as it mows on an incline, increasing safety even further on steep slopes of up to 45 degrees.
- ✔️ CLIMBING ABILITY - Due to its lightweight construction and single-drive system with Hydraulic Self Propelled capability, DareDevil Mowers can mow on extremely steep slopes with an incline of up to 45 degrees in any direction.
- ✔️ QUALITY OF CUT - Using a four-piece Allow blade ensures a precise, fine cut that mulches grass and actually helps fertilize your lawn. These mowing decks provide consistent quality whether you're mowing parks and gardens, waterlogged marshes, or densely brushed areas.
Last update on 2022-10-06 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Disadvantages Of Mulching Your Grass
I would be lying if I said that mulching has no drawbacks. Mulching is not a suitable cutting method for wet or damp grass. If used it would not cause damage to your mower or lawn, but the grass is likely to be cut poorly and result in wet clumps being left behind. You should wait until the lawn dries out before mulching.
Mulching should not be used if you have weeds, moss or disease in your lawn as this cutting method will only expand and accelerate the issue. You should always deal with the problem first before mulching.
Furthermore, mulching is not suitable for extremely long grass. As already discussed, the blade of the mower has to work harder during the mulching process as it keeps cutting the grass into tiny pieces. The blades are specially designed and are able to deal with this with no issues, however if the grass is too long it puts extra pressure onto the mower and you are likely to end up with unwelcomed results. Mulching mowers are suitable for homeowners who like to keep their lawn cut on a regular basis. If you like to let you grass grow too long, then perhaps a mulching mower is not the right option for you. In the situation where your grass has grown too long you should use one of the other cutting methods if you have a multi-functional mulching mower.
With mulching it is recommended that you keep your lawn short and follow a regular mowing schedule. Naturally this is something that will need to be adjusted depending on the growth rate of the grass and season of the year. To learn more about Spring Lawn Maintenance read my article here.
As with any mower, you will need to maintain your gas powered mower on a regular basis to ensure it is working reliably and effectively.
What Does A Mulching Mower Do And Is Mulching Any Good?
In one word “yes”, mulching is very good for your lawn. We all love the amazingly manicured lawns seen at golf centers and bowling greens. Most of us feel that this is something that we will never be able to achieve as they have permanent staff looking after their lawns around the clock. The later is true, however did we ask ourselves what type of mower they use? Do they collect the grass clippings? No, they do not, they use the mulching process at all times. They normally use reel mowers, that cut the lawn short, but the method is mulching – providing nutrients and moisture to the soil at all times. That is the main reason they achieve these outstanding results. In summary, mulching is extremely beneficial for the health and condition of your lawn.
What Type Of Mulching Mower Is Best?
Some homeowners prefer gas mulching mowers, others prefer cordless mulching mowers, or manual reel mowers, or even robotic mowers. The good news is that you do not have to worry. Whatever your preference in terms of power, ease of use, effort and flexibility there are mulching mowers available that will tick these boxes.
I know there are many options and models available on the market and making the right decision can be a little scary. To help you out, I have designed an easy-to-use lawn mower tool that will pick your perfect lawn mower based on your requirements in seconds. Why not click the image link below and try it out.
If you have never owned a mulching mower, or were not aware of the mulching process and benefits, hopefully after reading this article you have the necessary knowledge and understanding to be able to decide if mulching is a cutting feature worth having when purchasing your next mower.
We have already discussed the benefits and outstanding results mulching mowers provide in terms of greener, healthier and thicker lawns that you and your family and friends can enjoy. Yes, mulching mowers are slightly more expensive to purchase initially, but in the longer-term will save your hard-earned cash.
Let’s not forget that a stronger lawn with less weeds, disease, water and maintenance required will not only have the neighbors talking, but you may have a few questions about how you achieved it. A simple change in the way you mow your lawn will organically improve the quality of your soil. What’s there not to like?
Is mulching good for the lawn?
Absolutely, mulching provides essential nutrients and moisture back to your soil, acting as an organic fertilizer. This is needed for your lawn to remain healthy and green.
Is it better to bag or mulch your grass?
It depends on the time of the year and condition of your lawn. In most cases mulching is most certainly a healthier option for your lawn preventing disease and weeds. If you already have weeds in your lawn, address this first and mow using your catcher bag. When resolved, revert to mulching.
Does mulching grass make it grow faster?
Yes, as the lawn is continuously organically fertilized with the mulched grass, it will indeed grow faster, be greener and healthier.
How often should you mulch your grass?
During the Summer growing season you should cut your lawn approximately every 7 days to ensure an effective mulching mow. If you do not follow a regular lawn maintenance schedule and leave you grass to become overgrown, then perhaps mulching is not a suitable option for you.
Should you leave grass clippings on your lawn?
The mulching process automatically leaves tiny cut grass particles on your lawn to decompose. If your mower is not capable of mulching the grass clippings, then it is not a good idea to leave them on the lawn and cut & collect would be a better option.
Do mulching mowers really work?
They absolutely do, as long as you use them in the right circumstances. The grass needs to be dry, not too long and neglected. Successful mulching requires a regular lawn care schedule to be followed.
Do mulching mowers spread weeds?
Yes, a mulching mower will spread and disperse the seeds from any weeds already in your lawn exacerbating the issue. You will need to deal with the weed issue before you mulch your lawn.
What is the difference between mulching and side discharge?
Mulching cuts the grass into much smaller pieces compared to the side discharge option. The mulching plug is used to block the grass exciting the deck until it has been cut small enough to drop down towards the soil (acts like a kitchen blender). With side discharge the grass will exit immediately from the mower’s deck leaving clumps / lines of longer cut grass on your lawn.